Summer time means lots of great things: sun, pools, the beach, outdoor sports, but it also means our hair can become very damaged and dry. Because of our sun exposure during the summer our hair can become dry, the color can fade, and it can get that "straw" feeling.
These are a few tips to remember to keep your hair healthy this summer!
1) Keep your hair conditioned before you go into a chlorine pool. If you apply a conditioner or even just saturate your hair with water, like tap or bottled water, your hair will not absorb as much, if any, of the chlorine from the pool. This will help keep the hair from drying out from the chlorine.
2) Remember the skin on your scalp! Always apply sunscreen to the edges of you scalp and down your part if the hair is parted, this will help so that your scalp will not get sunburned! If you have a drastic part, like you are wearing pigtails, really spray the part well with sunscreen.
3) Apply a conditioner before you go into the sun for long periods of time to help put a "barrier" between your hair and the sun. This will help with color fading and drying of the hair and it will give you a good deep conditioning! :)
4) Try to wear your hair in a loose braid or in a loose bun so that you aren't putting too much stress in the same area over and over when your hair is wet.
5)Try not to wear a tight ponytail too often to avoid breakage in the same area as the hair tie. Also try o use a soft hair tie that does not have metal to help with breakage.
6) If you want to lighten your hair a little try a little squirt of lemon juice in a bottle of water with a little bit of conditioner, shake and spray on hair before going in the sun. Lemon juice can be drying so make sure to condition well afterwards!
These are just a few things to remember this summer to help keep your hair in it's best shape!! Have a fun summer!